With over 20 years of legal experience, Michael J. Hawley is recognized as a skilled attorney dedicated to meeting the individual goals and expectations of his clients. Michael joined the firm in 2014 where he combines his in-depth legal knowledge and diverse life experiences to handle a broad range of legal matters. A native of the Philadelphia area, Michael returned to the region after completing active duty military service. Michael represents individuals, small and mid-sized businesses and other entities in the federal and state courts of Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and is also qualified as a military attorney. His primary areas of practice with the firm include commercial litigation, business sales and acquisitions, residential and commercial real estate development, real estate sales and purchases, medical/dental negligence, personal injury, estate planning and administration, military law and select criminal defense matters.
Whether he is litigating a challenging dispute or representing a client in a complex business transaction, Michael undertakes a thorough analysis of all attendant issues – legal, factual and financial. He works closely with his clients to ensure that they understand both the routine and most complex aspects of their cases. Michael is also well known for delivering practical advice in a timely manner and providing clients a realistic assessment of the risks, costs and potential outcomes associated with their cases.
An experienced litigator, Michael has conducted numerous jury trials, bench trials, arbitrations and mediations. He is an Adjunct Professor at the Delaware Law School of Widener University and Neumann University, a veteran of the United States Air Force, a former police officer and a Police Academy Instructor.
- High six-figure recovery in Dram Shop action in Delaware County against tavern for pedestrian who suffered injury when her foot was run over by intoxicated driver in parking lot.
- Successful defense of business enterprise against false claims of discrimination, wrongful termination and retaliation brought in federal court.
- Local counsel for resolution of multi-million dollar claims of aviation negligence/wrongful death brought by families of foreign nationals killed in an aircraft collision in New York against the Montgomery County estate of an errant pilot.
- Six-figure recovery in Delaware County for patron who was assaulted on the premises of a major nationally owned restaurant.
- Successful defense of senior military officer falsely accused of threats and assault.
- Representation of a Philadelphia based multi-million dollar business entity regarding the sale of the business assets.
- Co-counsel for the sale/purchase and subsequent residential development of a large parcel of prime real estate located on the Main Line.
- Reported Case: In Re: Estate of John E. du Pont, 606 Pa 567; 2A.3d 516; 2010 Pa LEXIS 1800.
Admitted to Practice
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Widener University School of Law, Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
- Neumann College, Bachelor of Science, Cum Laude
- Delaware County Police Academy, Honor Graduate
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Delaware County Bar Association
- Chester County Bar Association
- Fraternal Order of Police
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Faculty Member of the Year, Widener University Legal Education Institute, 2013 and 2015
- Youth Aid Panel Chairman, Springfield Township Police, 2015 to present
- Springfield Athletic Association, Youth Sports Coach, 2002 to present
- Lions Club International, Springfield, PA, Member, 2000 to present
- Solicitor, Thomas Massey House, Broomall, PA, 1998 to present