Scudder began the practice of law in 1969. For fifteen years his office was in Philadelphia and he appeared in both the Federal courts and Pennsylvania courts, including Montgomery, Delaware, Bucks and Chester Counties. Thereafter, his efforts have been predominantly in Chester County. While his nearly fifty years of the practice of law have been in the general practice of law, he now principally focuses on estate planning and administration, elder law, trusts, and Orphan’s Court litigation.
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- Bankruptcy Court for the Federal District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania State University, B.A.
- Valparaiso University School of Law, J.D.
- Widener Univeristy School of Law, L.L.M., Health Law
Professional or Trade Affiliations
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Chester County Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Recipient of the U. S. Law Week Award upon graduation from Valparaiso University School of Law
- Selected in 2009 and thereafter as one of the “Best Personal Wealth Managers in the Philadelphia Region” in the area of Estate Planning as published in Philadelphia Magazine
- Co-author of PBI Publication No. 93 – Administration of Estates, 1978 edition
- Board of Supervisors for Kennett Township; Supervisor (Term 2012 – 2017), Chairman of the Board of Supervisors, 2014 to the present.
- Kennett Township representative on the Bayard Taylor Memorial Library Board for 10 years where he was President of the Board and instrumental in negotiating the joinder of the Library with the County Library system, and in creating, among other changes, municipal financial support for the library.
- Served on the Board of Philadelphia Council, Boy Scouts of America, and Chairman of its Independence District
- Served as Treasurer and on the Board of the Kennett Area YMCA.
- Active instructor in the After the Bell Program for the Kennett Consolidated School District
- Served as Board Member and legal counsel for the Kennett Square Revitalization Task Force (now Historic Kennett Square), creating The Center, the nonprofit community building in Kennett Square, and helped establish the Kennett Beerfest.
- Active in Kennett Rotary, having served as President and Treasurer of the Club, and Treasurer of its Foundation.
- Served on the Board of the community group that started and continues to run the annual Martin Luther King Annual Community Breakfast.
- Served as Treasurer, and President of the Scudder Association, a non-profit corporation that provides support to Vellore Memorial Hospital in Ranipet, India as well as other charities and educational activities.
- Is an active member of the Kennett Friends Monthly Meeting and Philadelphia Yearly Meeting
- Overviews the Neil Joines Foundation Fund of the Chester County Community Foundation.
- Serves on various municipal related organizations in association with Kennett Township