Joseph J. Dougherty
Joe’s areas of practice are concentrated in business transactions and business operations, commercial litigation, real estate acquisition and sale, and securities litigation. Representation has included banks, real estate developers, wind and solar production companies, coal and gas companies, securities firms and individuals.
- Business Planning and Organizations
- Business Transactions
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Defect Litigation
- Real Estate Transactions
- Real Property Litigation
- Real Estate Tax Assessment
- Merger of a public traded company into a privately held company;
- Negotiated the acquisition of 3,700 acres, part in ownership of surface, oil, gas, and coal leases across three states.
- The sale of 3,500 acres of real estate in Mingo County, West Virginia;
- The sale of a wind farm in Texas;
- The purchase of a 220,000 square foot industrial building;
- Prosecution and settlement of a large auction rate securities action;
- Private placement for a solar array project in Ohio;
- Private placements (4) for oil and gas and (2) wind turbine farms; and
- A developer involved in a prevailing wage action, which the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania in a published opinion reversed the decision of the Prevailing Wage Appeals Board.
- The sale of two commercial buildings consisting of 140,000 square feet of space.
- The purchase of two commercial buildings consisting of 80,000 square feet of space.
- The purchase of a shopping center consisting of 359,000 square feet of retail space.
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Rated Martindale-Hubbell DistinguishedSM
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority Arbitrator – 2000 to present
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority Chairperson – 2011 to present
- Private mediator/arbitrator – 2005 to present
- Safe Harbor of Chester County, Board of Directors 2007 to 2014, Recipient of Safe Harbor’s 2015 Humanitarian of the Year award.
- TROOP 6 BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA 1989-2000
Troop Chairperson, Treasurer, High Adventure Leader
- CHESTER COUNTY COUNCIL BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA 2000 – 2005
Unit Commissioner, District Chairman
- BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS OF CHESTER COUNTY 1998 -2000
Board of Directors
- LEGAL AID OF CHESTER COUNTY 1996 – 2001
Board of Directors
- PENNSYLVANIA BAR ASSOCIATION 1998 to present
Lawyers’ Assistance Committee
- THE RISK MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATION 2008 to present
- CHESTER COUNTY COMMERCIAL INDUSTRIAL INVESTMENT COUNCIL, INC. 2005 to present
- Chester County Commercial Industrial Investment Council, Inc. – 2006, 2008 and 2009
Most Significant Industrial Lease